Jesus had His mission of going to the cross and the grave and out again.
Matt 12:38-40 Mark 8:31-33 Mark 9:31-33 Mark 10:32-35
A christian ought to have the mentality that the earth and its sufferings and joys are temporal, but the real riches and hope are in heaven with the LORD.
What other bible believers said showing their hope in God:
- Phil 1:21 Paul - Gen 49:33 Jacob, Num 23:10
Other Christians in History:
- Ignatius - the Bishop of Antioch 100AD personal disciple of John the apostle "I thank thee that thou has honored me with thy word. Praise God" while being burnt at the stake.
- Father Polycarp - an apostle of JOhn who lived in Nero's reign. Sentenced to death and offered to deny Jesus or be burnt to death.
Roman consul: "Swear reproach to Christ and I will set thee at liberty. " Father Polycarp: "Eighty and six years have I serveed Christ and he has never done me wrong. How then can I deny my LORD and saviour." He refused to be bound while being burnt saying that God will gice him strength to stand still in the fire.
-Augustus -author of one of hte most evangelic hymns of 18th centtury Rock of Ages cleft for me.
- William Shakespare died 1616 AD at 52. His will revealed his faith in God.
- Matthew Henry - a non conformist theologian "a life spent in the service of God and in communion with Him is the most comfortable life that anyone can lead in this present world.
- John Wesley "the best of all is that 'God is with us'."
- Charles B? died at 12. Loved to read Bible. When sick he said "I desire to die that I may go to my saviour."
- Tom Payne - the age of reason
- Voltaire 1694-1778 - the nurse who attended his death said "for all the money of Europe, I would not see another infidel die.